Keep Your Energy Bill Cool this Summer!
Keep your energy bill cool this summer 🙂
- Close windows and curtains early in the day before the house heats up on summer days.
- Once the temperature cools outside, open windows, curtains and blinds to let the cool air in.
- Use fans where possible – they use much less energy than an air conditioner.
- Drape a wet sheet over an open doorway or in front of a pedestal fan during hot days. It’s nature’s evaporative cooler!
- Set the thermostat on your air conditioner to between 24–26°C. Every degree lower will add 5-10% to your cooling bill.
- Ensure the fridge temperature is set to 4°C and freezers to -18°C.
- Ensure there is space for air to move around the fridge and make sure the door seals are intact.
- Washing and Drying
- When using the washing machine ensure your water level is adjusted to the load that you are washing.
- When using the washing machine use cold water only where possible.
- Limit using a dryer, dry clothes on the washing line or a clothes horse instead.
Did you know that many appliances continue to draw stand-by power when switched off, which can contribute up to 10% of household electricity use.